Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Where It All Began... How to Start Your Own Journey Through the Bible!

If this is your first time here...Welcome! I am glad you stopped by! I truly pray each person who reads a post will become encouraged or blessed in someway or another. We are all part of the body of Christ and we should be willing to lift one another up.

What sparked the idea of setting a goal to read through the whole Bible? Actually, the real question should be, What made me get serious this time about reading through the Bible? I have wanted to set a goal of reading through the Bible just about every January since about 2003 but I knew deep inside that I didn't have the discipline to actually do it. I may get through Genesis, possibly Exodus, but there was NO WAY I was going to make it through Leviticus. C'mon, who could possibly enjoy reading that book of the Bible. Well, it has been my favorite book to date! Who would have thunk it!

(My son wanted me to take a picture
with his truck instead of my book)
When my husband was stationed at a base in England I was part of the PWOC (Protestant Women of the Chapel), a group of ladies from various denominations who come together to worship, serve, learn and love one another through various Bible Studies. The study I chose was The Books of the Bible-Covenant History, the books of the bible, Genesis through 2 Kings, but with-out headlines, chapter or verse numbers. You are reading it as one long story. Each week you are to read a certain amount of pages, which was about and 45min a day for 5 days, and then discuss it with your group each week. I was sold! An accountability group to get through those first books of the Bible...Hallelujah! Before I began, I prayed, like a lot, that I would get through it and become hooked on reading the Bible, that I wouldn't want to stop. And God did just that for me! It was then I knew I was going to be serious about reading through the Bible this year. Now, I am not too set on the 'year' aspect of it. I don't want to become pressured and start reading for the wrong reason, to meet a goal and not for the knowledge, wisdom, and growing closer to God through His living word.

My challenge for you...

1.Review! If you have not yet set this goal for yourself, figure out why. Really look deep and find out why. More than likely it will be a poor excuse. Mine always were. No excuse is good enough to put God on the back burner. It is not about us, it is about God. Pray that God will change your heart and put in the desire to read and grow closer to Him.

(I am using the 'Reading Plan' App to track
my progress. There are many different plans
to choose from)
2.Create a plan! There are so many apps, books, websites, etc, that are created to help you with just this. Search for them and see which one works for you. You can read it in certain sections, chronologically, how it was written, etc. There are so many way. See which one works for you.

3.Create a checklist! If not a checklist then something visual where you can see your progress. You can go by each chapter or book. However the pattern, make one! I promise you...seeing your progress will help to keep you on track.

4.Start reading! Keep a journal and as your read write down questions, verses that stuck out to you, something that amazed you, something that really confused you. If you can't think of what to write then write a prayer, a list of blessings you are thankful for, anything!

5.Keep going! Some days I read 5 chapters while others I only read a chapter or even a few verses. Some days I cannot wait to read my Bible while others it takes discipline. You will be blessed either way!

Please let me know what plan you use and share with others.

"For the Lord gives wisdom, from His mouth comes knowledge and understanding." 
Proverbs 2:6

2 comments:

  1. It is truly amazing, how RICH God's word truly is!! SO RICH in knowledge, SO RICH in Love, in wisdom, SO RICH of God's character!!! I love how when you just start reading a verse, you don't just stop there, sometimes you have to read the whole ch, just to find out more and get a deeper understanding of what the author is talking about. I also love the fact that it ALL flows together, and it references to another verse!! A lot of times, the Holy Spirit will bring to mind another scripture similar to what I just read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true, Roxane! Very much of the time when I am reading in the OT I am thinking of times in the NT where it is being referenced and visa verse. The Bible is the most complex book yet the simplest!

    ReplyDelete

Theme created by Feeric Studios