Wednesday, July 29, 2015

The Message of Christ is Urgent.

I would like to welcome my guest Vanessa Lumby! She has a fantastic message and I wanted to help spread the word. She writes a weekly devotional for Daughter of Delight (you can read all of their devotionals here) and has a blog of her own at www.vanessalumby.blogspot.com.

I think I’m the only one who listens to the flight attendant's safety demonstration on airplanes. I’m a nervous flyer, so  as soon as the cabin door is sealed, I’m on high alert. So you better believe that when the flight attendant requests my attention for a safety demonstration, they have got it.

A big pet peeve of mine is when the flight attendant is standing there, giving passengers information that could save their lives, the other guests are texting, already asleep, or reading.


But not me. I don't care how many times I've seen the safety demonstration. I will definitely know what to do if the plane goes down. Most of the time I want to get everyone's attention. I want to wake them up, snatch their phones, and slam their books shut. I want to say, "Don't you see? The attendant is trying to save your life!" But, I don't. I listen, take mental notes, and prepare to be the only passenger that makes it out alive.


But what I definitely  don't do is say anything to those rude passengers. If I did, I'd look crazy. I'd appear to be overreacting. No one would understand my urgency.


Doesn’t this sound like our evangelical lives? There are people standing up and teaching others how to be saved, but the world pays no attention. They’ve heard this message a hundred times and have grown numb to the instruction.



Then there are those that are paying attention. We are sitting quietly, taking notes, and making sure we’re saved. But God calls us to get people's attention and to bring urgency to the message of Christ.


How often do we hold back, afraid of what others will think? I'm guilty of it for sure. So, today, with courage through Christ, I will stand up and dare to look a little zany. I will tell the other passengers the good news that they can be saved. Today I will  "go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit" (Matthew 28:19).

Will you join me?



Vanessa Lumby is passionate about women’s ministry and feels called to write. She is encouraged by powerhouses of faith like Jennie Allen and Christine Caine.  She has started writing at vanessalumby.blogspot.com, a site dedicated to encouraging women in their faith and marriage. She would pick a good book over her cell phone any day, and would describe herself as the friend you call for coffee when you want to talk about matters of the heart. She is married to Jacob, the brilliant mind behind cashcowcouple.com, and lives happily and frugally in Texas.



Do you have a message you would like to share the blogosphere? Find the Guest Writer tab at the top and share it with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme created by Feeric Studios